Monday, June 11, 2012

Dizzied whirling dervishes, i.e., my life

Graduated yesterday.  Sat up on the stage and tried not to laugh too obviously.  There were one hundred and one graduates in my program and my flatmate (codename: Kestrel) leaned forward from her seat almost directly behind me and whispered, "We're dalmatians."  And then the dean kept referencing The Hunger Games and Avengers movies in his speech. Shawarma and breathtaking anger management issues and such.


(It's generally agreed upon that he's our very own Dumbledore.  He even wore a wizard's hat, though I think it was actually Mickey Mouse's.)

Hung out afterward and spoke to a handful of people.  My mother went over to accost an old friend that I don't see much anymore, and a guy from one of my classes came over to chat.  I ate three chocolate chip cookies and then regretted the last one. 

We had lunch at an Indian place on State St.  I gorged and didn't regret it for a moment.  We packed up about half my stuff and jammed it into the back of the car, and then off my parents and brother went.  I spent the evening reading and rearranging my furniture a bit.  (Back to its original layout so I can move out this weekend.) 

Slept in today.  Feeling lazy and like my blood's moving slowly.  BUT I got an email from Virgogray Press about a poem I submitted back in November--they accepted it for publication!  It's going to be included in a collection called "Sing Now, America." 

(It's a "patriotic" collection, so I wrote about what it's like to be an American living abroad.) 
Published again!!!  And graduated!  It's been a rather good week, for all that I still have one final exam left on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment